Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Love the 80's-1983

Crazy, because I really remember 1983. It was a great year. I was in the third grade, Miss Gee's class to be exact and my best friend was Krissy Cummings. We had a blast together.

I loved the fashions, the TV, and the music, in fact I still listen to a lot of the music so here we go.......

Let's talk TV. Now I was like 9 and my favorite shows were "Silver Spoons" and "Facts of Life". I thought that Rick Schroder was the yummiest thing since chocolate ice cream. I still feel that way. I, of course, wanted to be just like Jo from "Facts of Life". She was the coolest. In grown up TV, 1983 marked the final episode of M.A.S.H. Over 125 million viewers tuned in to the last episode. I was one of them-I cried like a baby.

Cast of "Silver Spoons"

Cast of "Facts of Life"

The cast of M.A.S.H.


Movies---- There are a ton of movies that came out that year, but two of my favorites were "The Outsiders" and "Valley Girls". You just have to look at the cast for like 5 reasons I loved the movie, "The Outsiders", but in all honesty it is one of my favorite books of all time. Infact, I loved most of what S. E. Hinton wrote back then. I love "Valley Girls' because it is one of the best soundtrack of the 80's, maybe of all time. Oh it is also the introduction of a very young Nick Cage, infact he was so young he was going by the name of Nick Copolla.

The awesomely good looking cast of "The Outsiders" Just in case yo don't know-- Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, and Tom Cruise.
Movie poster for "Valley Girl"

Music--Now of the music of 1983 is pretty close to my heart. A lot of the music I still listen too. Some of my favorites--- Everything Counts by Depece Mode, Every Breath You Take by The Police, Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler, Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics, Come on Eileen by Dixie Midnight Runners, and last by certainly not least is Do You Really Want to Hurt Me by Culture Club.


Culture Club. I totally wanted to have hair like Boy George. It was really my first introduction to new wave. Scary to think how much it changed my early years.

In all seriousness, my favorite album that came out of 1983 was Michael Jackson's Thriller. Oh my gosh, was I in love with Michael Jackson. Crazy, insane, love. I know he is a freak now, but back then he was beyond awesome.
Needs no explanation.

1983 was also the birth of the CD as we know it today. They were beyond expensive back then. A CD player went for around $700.00-ouch.

Fashion-- I can never find the pictures of 80's fashions that I like, but here are some of the things I wore, for sure.
I loved jelly bracelets, especially the glow in the dark ones.
I loved stone wash jeans.

Can't forget the Jelly Shoes. I remember walking home from school in them. Not the greatest pair of walking shoes.

The Swatch watch. Probably the only watch where you needed to wear two or three of them to be cool.

Fun Stuff-
Cabbage Patch kids hit the shelves in 1983 and soon became the most sought after toy in the United States. I don't think I got mine in 1983, but I had one and her name was Stacy Monica. She was a world traveler fromHolland. She is currently hanging out in Ali's room. She is dang cute.

Cabbage Patch Doll

Rubik's Cube
Oh, yes the Rubik's Cube. I don't think I ever actually did one without taking it apart and putting it back together, but I know I spent countless hours trying to figure it out.

1983 marks the year that my family got our Atari. It was the best Christmas. We played for hours. It was also the demise of our Sony TV that my parents had had forever.

I could add a million other things, but I think we can all agree that this has gone on long enough. It was fun to remember 1983.

2 comments:

Tamie said...

good post Brandi...lots of funny memories. i was a little bit younger, but i do remember silver spoons and yes, ricky was dreamy!

Mars said...

I wish I was older in the 80's but I do remember having gelly bracelets & gelly shoes prob towards the end of the fad.

PS OF COURSE I know who you are!! I might not have seen you guys FOREVER but I know who you are :) So no worries! Although your girls are SO BIG I don't think I've seen Ryen since she was seriously tiny.