Monday, May 4, 2009

Battle of the Fizz

Ryen's school just had their annual Science Fair and Ryen's was all about the fizz. Rye didn't have a choice she had to do a project and it just happened to fall during a time when we were soooo busy. I don't ever remember being as busy as we have lately. Anyway, it was the cause of much stress for both of us. Neither of us had any clue how to go about it, but once we got started it wasn't really that bad. The topic was: When poured from a newly open bottle, what causes the most fizz: regular or diet? We found 0 research on this topic so we were on our own to come up with a hypothesis. We decided to test coke, diet coke, pepsi, and diet pepsi. We decided that they were all colas so they would have the same amount of fizz. We weren't really right, but we weren't really wrong. Regular produced the most, but only by like one fl. oz.. Rye and I were really proud of her board, her model, and everything else we were able to put together. She did a great job writting her report, do the experiments, and decorating the board. Way to go Rye!! Oh and she got 50 points out of 50 points. She totally rocks!!!!! Here are some pics of Rye and the board. It was kind of dark in the room, so they are a little dark, but you can see the awesome board.

Obviously this is Rye and the board, but she is standing in front of her cool model, so I took another one.
Here you can see her models. We used red beans to represent the colas and white beans to represent the fizz. Pretty clever huh? I thought so.

5 comments:

K. Lou said...

So clever! Despite the stress you guys really turned out an amazing project!! Wow. It looks so great! I remember a science fair at that age. I hated that I HAD to do a project. Mine didn't turn out nearly as cool.

racefan said...

That looks awesome!! You and Ryen are so clever to come up with that! Anything that pertains to science makes me nervous. I'm glad my boys haven't had to do anything like this yet! GREAT JOB!!

Tamie said...

looks great! and the beans, i think, were pretty clever.
though i've got to say that i think that diet produces more fizz that regular...we had some diet rootbeer last week and it was sooooooo carbonated and fizzy---more than the regular....it was crazy.
good job mom and rye! ;)

Adventures in Healing said...

That IS one good looking board!

Pamela said...

Good job Ryen! From your display, you obviously put alot of thought and work into this project. Science projects can be sooo much fun. Again, good job!