We decided forever ago that we wanted to spend Memorial Day weekend camping. We have always talked about becoming a camping family, but never really did it. Well we have spent the past few months collecting camping gear and getting ready for our family reunion in June, where we will be camping. So we made our reservation in Zions and were prepared to go. Instead we all got sick and had to cancel our first night. (I am so sick of being sick, but that is a whole other post). We decided we were all feeling better and that we would head out on Saturday. It seemed to take us forever to get ready and out the door, but we finally did and headed north toward Zion. Half way there we realized we were going to be really hungry and should probably stop and eat in St. George before heading to the camp ground. We made a quick stop at my favorite restaurant, Wingers. HMMMMM it was yummy.
We finally made it to the campsite and I was thrilled to see it was my kind of camping. (That would be gorgeous surroundings, 15 minutes from town, and great bathrooms).
And because it is my family I made them all pose for pictures next to the campsite. I loved the view behind us.
Then Randy and the girls went for a walk and I sat next to the tent and read my book. I was the last one to be sick and was still a little worn out. They came back from their walk and Ali was soaked from head to toe. She had decided to run into the river and tripped. I wish Randy had had the camera with him or that I would have thought to take pictures. She looked so cute and wanted so badly to go back into the river.
It was dinner time so we built a fire and cooked hot dogs and tin foil dinners.
After dinner we walked over and watched some of the campers do really bad Kereoke. I have decided that Kereoke must only be entertaining for those under the influence of alcohol. Even Ali was like "wow that was really bad!"
During the show the wind really started to pick up. We tried to do smores and finish cooking the tin foil dinners but the wind was getting worse and worse. The kids decided to go hide in the tent and Randy and I sat by the fire. All of the sudden there was a really big gust of wind. The tent next to us went flying over and the back end of our tent totally collapsed. That ended up being the end of our fun. The wind had bent the poles so bad that the tent would no longer stand up on its own. (did I mention this was our new tent!) So in the dark we were forced to pack and head home. It sucked. We were so bummed, but there was nothing we could do. Luckily, we were all packed up and driving when it started to rain. Maybe.. we were not meant to be a camping family. I guess we will see how it goes in June.
4 comments:
good for at least making an effort. the scenery is gorgeous!! we are planning a camping trip for June. it feels like i need to start getting ready now--so many things to remember for such a short time.
Oh bummer. I'm not a camper, either. It's just a whole lot of work and a whole lot of dirt. I agree, karaoke is for drunks and Mormons!!!
Is it bad of me to say that I am so grateful that Aaron hates the wilderness as much as I do and I will probably never have to camp? Glad you guys tried though!
you *do* seem to have bad luck with camping! what a bummer!
hopefully things will go better next month with all of us.
at least you got to check out the site and all that!
Post a Comment