Monday, June 23, 2008

Lovin Rapid City Day Two!!

This is the first real day of our vacation and it started at the crack of dawn. At least for me it did. I had to get a shower. Yep, I showered in a public shower. I have to say I was a trooper.
Anyway we headed up to Mt. Rushmore. I was pretty sure that I was not going to be overly impressed staring up a chiseled rock. I was wrong. I was so overwhelmingly in awe of the whole area. It is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Gorgeous and Mt. Rushmore is so majestic. Loved it. Here are a few of the pics...
This is the whole family standing in front of the amphitheater. PS this is about as good as the pictures get. We are not the best picture takers. This was taken on the trail that you can walk on. It is about 1/2 a mile and it is so gorgeous. If you don't know the heads are like 6 stories in length. I think they said that Washington's nose is like 21 feet long. They are huge. The family on the way out. Don't you just love Ali's face. She was not the happiest of campers. This is a shot from up above President's slide, located in Keystone. Grandma is being so brave. I was pretty proud of myself too. Not really my thing, but what a blast. We took the tram up the mountain and had lunch and then rode the Alpine Slide down. If you look you can see the slide. It was super fun and all of us were able to go down. Ali rode with her daddy and Ryen rode down the fast track all by herself. She is way braver then me. Picture up at the top of the mountain. One of the best pictures of the whole trip. Next, we ventured back down the mountain to Bear Country. This was one of my favorite things that we did. It 's a 45 minute ride in your car through all of this awesome country just covered in wild life. Some of them were behind fences, but most of them are just wondering around. It is crazy to be sitting in your car watching about 60 bears just walking around. Below is some video of a bear walking toward our car.

How crazy is that!! That is grandma and grandpa's car that the bear is walking next too. Gotta love the soundtrack playing.

When we were done driving around, we got out and went and looked at some of the smaller animals. I had to add this picture-he was the cutest little porcupine, ever. He was chowing down on the corn of cob just like we do. I was in love. Probably, the highlight of Bear Country was the baby bear pen. They had 16 of the cutest baby bears. So stinking cute. Anyway the zoo keeper came out and fed the babies peanut butter off of a big spatula. They went nuts. I think that we spent over 30 minutes just looking at the babies. The little brown one in the picture is called Little Bit. He is the smallest in the pen.

For dinner we went to the Circle B Chuckwagon dinner and show. The ranch is ran by a family of five. Not only did they perform, but they ran the store, and served the food. They were the nicest people. I would go back in a minute. The ranch was awesome and had tons of things to look at and do. We had a pretty good dinner of chicken and beef, baked potato, beans, a biscuit, applesauce, and a ginger cake. Oh we also had yummy sarsaparillas and cream soda.
The show was great. The boys were really talented. They played old school cowboy music-not really my favorite, but I found myself enjoying it anyway. I was also surprised how much of it I recognized.
The boys and their dad singing. I took my camera, but by this time everyone was pretty tired and didn't want to have their picture taken, so alas I have no real pictures of us there.
That ended our day two. It was such a good day. Despite how tired we were we all managed to make the best of our day. Stay tuned tomorrow for day three.

0 comments: