Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How Old is Your Baking Soda?

Okay, to start off I have no idea the age of the baking soda used in this story. Some of you know that I had a cookie contest on my blog forever ago. Well, my friend Heather won and twice I have made cookies and they have turned out like totally crap. Now, the recipe I use is pretty stinking easy and tastes delicious, but they kept coming out like this.

I am not sure this pic even comes close to how bad they really looked. Some parts were so thin that you could see through them.


I completely threw the first batch away. Yuck, what a total waste! Anyway, I decided that maybe something was up with my awesome oven. So I went this morning and bought a thermometer and tested it this morning and called GE to come and check it out. My warranty expires at midnight tonight (talk about perfect timing). I still wasn't convinced that my new oven was the problem and I remembered it could also be my baking soda. I just made another batch keeping an eye on the temp and using a brand new box of Baking Soda and they turned out perfect.

I can't even believe what a difference good baking soda makes.

So Heather I am headed to the post office right now.

4 comments:

racefan said...

YEAH!!! They look VERY yummy:) I can't wait!! Thanks again, Brandi!

Tamie said...

interesint informational tidbits about bkng soda....i would have NEVER thought that, that would have been the problem...

Mars said...

I would never have thought to check that. Glad they finally worked for ya :)

Shawn Smith said...

MMMMMMM...cookies!