Wednesday, April 11, 2012

DC 3 Our Day to Remember

Randy and I only had one real day to walk around DC and we spent it touring all the sights that give homage to the men and women of the armed forces. Our first stop was.....


The Iwo Jima Memorial. It was so amazing and I cried like a baby. I loved reading all of the plaques about the men represented in the statue and all that went into making it. While there we saw to Marines in full dress uniform and one Marine standing on crutches, missing the better part of his leg. It was a real testimony to the importance of all the do everyday.

We then walked most (if not all) of Arlington Cemetery. Lots and lots of walking and lots and lots of tears. Some of my favorite pics....

It looked like this every where you looked. It was so overwhelming.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

No words.....

Then it was off to the Lincoln Memorial. This is a terrible pic, but I am using it anyway. If you have ever walked the cemetery and then across the bridge and then over the the Lincoln monument, you know it is ridiculously far. What were we thinking!

Our last stop was the Korean memorial. No matter where you are around it you have to look into the face of the soldier, Marine, or who ever they were.

It was such a humbling day. I am always grateful for the men and women that protect our country, but that day was something totally different. I just kept thinking I wanted to tell them all thank you. It reminded me how proud I am of my dad, who was in the army, my amazing Marine husband, my brother in law Aaron, who serves in the Navy, for my brother in law Kevin, who serves in the Air Force, and for all of those crazy Marines that have been a part of my life forever. How lucky I am to be surround by people who are willing to give their lives for the freedoms I take for granted every day. Thank you!

0 comments: